Friday, September 14, 2012

Rates


I’m often asked how a studio teacher should determine what to charge per hour.  I suggest you talk to other studio teachers in your area and math / english and SAT tutors. 

Should you be less than other teachers in your area or more?  My advice is, don’t charge too little and don’t charge too much.  If you charge too little, parents will think you’re not very good and if you’re too expensive, they may not be able to afford your prices.

Plus, during tough economic times, try not to raise your rates too much.  I raised my rates a couple of dollars after 2 1/2 years.  I did tell the parents / students in a letter that it had been 2 1/2 years.  January 1 is another great time to do this.  Just send out a letter, email or both. You don’t need to explain why. 

2 comments:

  1. My rates are quite low, considering the amount of education + experience I have...

    So why do I charge this little?

    Because of 'the economy' I place into consideration working folks' incomes and therefore try not to break into the pricing territory that warrants students or parents of students to search for a less-expensive instructor.

    Also, by doing this, it actually welcomes parents who have more than one child learning an instrument to take lessons with me!

    It may be additional time & more work in preparation but it is still 1 initial interview, 1 place to consider having lessons at, etc.

    However, (and I have notified my students of this), that I do plan on raising my rates at some point in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil; If you're too low, you're not demanding the same respect as someone who charges more. You're worth it !! Plus, it's a way to weed people out. Consider this, a higher price for the one student and then a family rate. Thanks Neil for being my first person to reply on my blog. See you in Texas at the TMEA !!

    ReplyDelete